PHOTOVOLTAIC FAÇADE – FLORIANA PROJECT HOUSE
FLORIANA PROJECT HOUSE
Onyx Solar has provided Photovoltaic Glass integrated as a photovoltaic ventilated façade for the refurbishment of a governamental building, known as ‘Project House’, located in Floriana, Malta.
- Total Area - 214 M2
- Electricity generated in 35 years - 943,254 kWh
- Total lighting points operating 4 hours per day in 35 years - 1,853 lighting points
- CO2 emmisions Avoided in 35 years - 611 Tons of CO2
- Barrels of oil saved in 35 years - 555 barrels
Example of a feasibility study of crystalline silicon photovoltaic façade in Valletta:
- Payback time < 8.4 years
- Internal rate of return (IRR) 12.6 %
* Onyx Solar Energy S.L. makes no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the report is accurate, complete or up to date.
The installation has 214 m2, and it is composed of exactly 204 Crystalline Silicon Photovoltaic Glass units with a glass configuration of 4T+4T mm, using monocrystalline solar cells of 6”.
For the refurbishment of this ventilated façade, it has been necessary to perfectly adapt the size of the photovoltaic glass units to the existing structure of the building. For this reason, they have been manufactured in 9 different sizes, such as 912x678 mm, 1,229x839 mm, 1,000x912 mm, or 1,700x1,000 mm.
The installation is integrated into the façade of Project House located in Triq Francesco Buonamici in Floriana, a town adjacent to the capital of the country, Valletta. The building is owned by the Central Government of Malta which is used for different purposes. This refurbishment aims to upgrade its energy performance, including energy efficiency.
Owner: Central Government of Malta
Design & Engineering: Government Department of utilities
Mechanical & Electrical Installers: Altern Limited