The General is the first residential project in Australia that has Onyx Solar’s glasses on the façade, in a commitment to high quality and sustainable architecture.
The architects C.Kairouz has designed this building and is located in the center of Northcote, in Melbourne.
FEASIBILITY STUDY OF AMORPHOUS SILICON PHOTOVOLTAIC FAÇADE IN MELBOURNE
Reduction in HVAC energy demands
internal Rate of Return
- Total Area - 124 M2
- Electricity generated in 35 years - 133,592 kWh
- Total lighting points operating 4 hours per day in 35 years - 262 lighting points
- CO2 emmisions avoided in 35 years - 90 Tons of CO2
- Barrels of oil saved in 35 years - 79 barrels
The amorphous silicon glasses with low transparency and size 1,245 x 1,849 mm (4.08 x 6.06 Ft) have been installed in the railing system at the north facade of the building. Onyx Solar glasses allow the entry of natural light, providing an innovative design to the building.
The total installed power capacity reaches 5 kWp, so the energy generated will cover the consumption of light and mechanical equipment in the common areas.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Winner: ARCHITECTURE MULTIPLE RESIDENCE AUSTRALIA AWARD – Asia Pacific Property Awards 2019-2020.
- Winner: RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT AUSTRALIA AWARD – Asia Pacific Property Awards 2019-2020.
Architect – C.Kairouz Architects
Developer – Cedar Group Developments
Photographer – Peter Clarke