PHOTOVOLTAIC SKYLIGHT – VALLETA DESIGN CLUSTER
VALLETA DESIGN CLUSTER
Our Solar PV Glass is integrated in a skylight on the rooftop of the building, that will generate free and clean energy thanks to the sun, and at the same time it allows the sunlight to come into.
- Total Area - 45 M2
- Electricity generated in 35 years - 200,467 kWh
- Total lighting points operating 4 hours per day in 35 years - 394 lighting points
- CO2 emissions Avoided in 35 years - 130 Tons of CO2
- Barrels of oil saved in 35 years - 118 barrels
Example of a feasibility study of crystalline silicon photovoltaic skylight in Valleta:
- Payback time < 8 years
- Internal rate of return (IRR) 13.3 %
* Onyx Solar Energy S.L. makes no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content in the report is accurate, complete or up to date.
The installation is composed of 42 units of crystalline silicon photovoltaic glass with 2 different measures: 1,087x978 mm and 1,111x978 mm. Each glass has a low iron tempered glass frit and a 12 mm air chamber, that will improve the thermal and acoustic isolation of the building.
The Valletta Design Cluster is located in a refurbished XVII old abattoir, one of the earliest buildings of that city declared World Heritage by UNESCO. The design cluster is equipped with a conference wall, international projects labs, coworking space, meeting rooms, and an incredible roof garden of 495 m2 that includes 950 trees and plants and a vertical garden.
The rooftop garden is to the public as a community space for relaxation and amusement purposes. Everyone is allowed to come to the garden and enjoy the views and the nature while contemplating our incredible solar photovoltaic skylight located there.
This installation and the building restoration are part of the Maltese government to turn Valletta into a green city by 2030 boosting sustainable buildings and green infrastructures like that.
Awards & Recognitions:
· Winner: Malta Architecture and Spatial Planning (MASP) Awards 2021 - Rehabilitation and Conservation Award for the Valletta Design Cluster.
This project is praiseworthy for how a disused Grade 1 scheduled building within the heart of lower Valletta was rescued from obsolescence and given a new lease of life through sensitive adaptive reuse.
Owner: Valletta Cultural Agency, Central Goverment of Malta
Installer: AS Solar Italia S.R.L.