HEXAGONAL PHOTOVOLTAIC GLASS
The Science Pyramid, located in the Denver Botanic Gardens, is a pyramid-shaped building. Here, Onyx Solar® has integrated hexagonal crystalline silicon photovoltaic glass modules with a 100% custom-made design.
This pyramid shows visitors the principal ecosystems of Colorado and explores similar environments around the world. The illumination and vibrations within the pyramid are determined by the current weather conditions.
FEASIBILITY STUDY OF CRYSTALLINE SILICON PHOTOVOLTAIC SKYLIGHT IN DENVER
Reduction in HVAC energy demands
Internal Rate of Return
- Total Area - 68 M2
- Electricity generated in 35 years - 400,311 kWh
- Total lighting points operating 4 hours per day in 35 years - 785 lighting points
- CO2 emmisions avoided in 35 years - 268 Tons of CO2
- Barrels of oil saved in 35 years - 236 barrels per m2
The building was awarded with the title of Best Project in Colorado in 2014 by the most significant construction magazine worldwide, Engineering News-Record (ENR), of the McGraw Hill and Standard & Poor's group.
“The pyramid’s façade features photovoltaic glass, which generates clean, free energy from the sun. This is perfect for two of our fundamental values: sustainability and transformation. We wanted to include photovoltaic glass efficiently, and at the same time attractively, and the result has been absolutely amazing”.
Brian Vogt, CEO, Denver Botanic Gardens
“At Onyx Solar® we are fascinated by projects which represent a challenge. They give us the opportunity to design and manufacture unique photovoltaic glass items”.
“The design and construction work executed have set these Botanic Gardens at the forefront of the most innovative gardens to visit in the country”.
Diego Cuevas, Business Development VP at Onyx Solar®
“The fascination and appeal of Onyx Solar®’s photovoltaic solutions is generally due to their ability to perform three main functions:
- Environmental resistance; they can withstand damp and UV rays.
- Renewable energy / Energetic balance, the key goal for using photovoltaic technology in buildings.
- Aesthetics; the façade is the face, the appearance, and the eyes of the building’s soul”.
Will Babbington – AIA, PE | Façade Performance Design Director at Studio NYL
“So as to completely integrate the photovoltaic modules in the aesthetics of the ventilated façade, not only was the colour of the glass carefully chosen to match the colour of the surrounding modules, but its surface was coated with a similar sheen”.
Barton Harris, Project Manager at Burkett Design
"It has been great to work with Onyx Solar®. It was the only company capable of making the hexagonal photovoltaic glass we needed and of helping us with the design”.
Adam Tormohlen, Project Manager at GH Phipps.
Awards & Recognitions:
- Winner: BEST COLORADO PROJECT AWARD – ENR (Engineering News-Record) Magazine 2015.